Digital Signage in a Post COVID-19 World
The COVID-19 pandemic is continuing to shape the way businesses communicate. Organizations that once used printed signage and in-person communication have relied more heavily on digital communications methods over the past two years, and this trend is expected to continue. IDC predicts that by 2023, 45% of companies will accelerate the implementation of zero-paper workflows, resulting in a 75% reduction of paper-based processes. With companies printing less physical material and reducing capacity limits, digital signage will take on a larger role in a post-COVID-19 world. In this blog, we will explore some digital signage applications, the best ways to implement these systems, and their revenue generation potential.
What is Digital Signage?
Digital signage is the use of LED or LCD screens and software to display text, images, and video. These systems have far-reaching applications from displaying information to wayfinding, improving customer service, and more. They can be static or interactive giving users the ability to interact with a touch screen or video chat with a representative. Let’s look at some specific ways that they can be used in a post-COVID-19 world.
Digital Signage Advantages in a Post-Covid World
The COVID-19 pandemic is an evolving situation, and new protocols need to be communicated as updates become available. Digital signage has the following advantages over printed or in-person communication:
- Inform audiences of changing protocols and other important information in real-time.
- Aids in social distancing by reducing the amount of face-to-face interaction.
- Manage messaging across large organizations with multiple branches remotely.
- Troubleshoot technical issues remotely, which eliminates the need for IT staff to visit multiple locations. This facilitates better social distancing and allows IT staff in remote and hybrid environments to work seamlessly with the system.
- Digital signage can also be used for wayfinding in large, complex buildings such as school campuses, malls, hospitals, and office buildings.
- Digital wayfinding eliminates the need for printed signage and confusing floor decals, it reduces face-to-face interaction and prevents large groups from congregating in lobbies and hallways.
Digital Signage Kiosks
Digital signage kiosks are a practical way to provide essential services while displaying important messaging to a captive audience. Touchless kiosks can be used to:
- Dispense hand sanitizer, conduct temperature checks, and detect if a visitor is wearing a mask.
- Allow visitors to check in for appointments.
- Facilitate self-ordering systems for restaurant and retail environments.
- Create engaging and immersive learning systems to educate staff, customers, or visitors.
- Real-time video chat platforms can take customer service to the next level.
Advertising and revenue generation
By selling advertising space, digital signage and kiosk systems can pay for themselves and even generate revenue. While the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic saw advertising spend fall by 13.2%, 2021 saw spending bounce back to 29.1%, primarily in the digital space. A high priority for brands in the coming years is digital out-of-home advertising, which is expected to grow by 42% by 2023. Selling advertising space on digital signage platforms is a great way to capitalize on the growing demand for digital advertising space. Businesses can also use digital signage and kiosks to generate more revenue by upselling products in retail and restaurant settings.
Implementing a System
Whether you are implementing a new system or updating an existing system, now may be the perfect time to consider installing a digital signage solution. Microsoft found that 66% of employers around the world are redesigning their workplaces to accommodate hybrid work arrangements. Installing a system in an area that is already undergoing alterations can prevent future disruptions in the space. If you already have a rudimentary signage system in place, the existing software can often be upgraded to take advantage of state-of-the-art features. This can reduce the time and cost associated with unmounting, shipping, and re-mounting new media players.
Can Your Organization Benefit?
We have provided some examples of how specific industries can benefit from digital signage in a post-COVID-19 world. These examples can be applied to many industries and have applications beyond those discussed here. Most industries benefit from a signage solution, and ROCK Networks’ digital signage experts can customize a solution that meets your unique needs.
The following industries can benefit from a signage solution:
|Property Management||Municipalities||Small Business|
ROCK Networks is here to guide you through the selection and implementation process of industry-leading digital signage software. Take the first step and download Corum Digital’s Digital Signage Solution Guide to learn more.